Blow everyone out of the water this holiday season with the most delicious Christmas treats ever! Everyone will be contributing the usual gingerbread cookies and buñuelos and natilla to the festivities, but the recipe we are about to reveal to you will put you on a whole new level.
Sorry, Abuela, but the days of your tres leches’ reign as the yummiest dessert are coming to an end. These dark chocolate and candy cane cookies are so good they are almost sinful, so watch out because Santa may count them on your naughty list!
- 3/4 C ( 1 1/2 Sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 C packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsps. water
- 2 1/4 C dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 C sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bag Candy Cane Kiss candies
- Put butter, dark brown sugar and water in a large saucepan and stir over low heat until melted.
- Add dark chocolate chips and stir until most of the chocolate chips are melted, remove from heat and continue to stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- Add in 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste and mix well.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to sit and cool for about 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times to help cooling.
- Carefully measure 2 1/2 C of sifted all-purpose flour into a large bowl; add in baking soda and salt – sift together
- When the chocolate is cooler, add in one egg at a time beating each on high speed until completely blended.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in dry ingredients, don’t forget to scrape the sides and bottom, until blended.
- Chill the dough for about an hour – while it’s chilling – unwrap the Candy Cane Kiss candies
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Roll dough into 1/2″ to 1″ balls and place on un-greased or parchment lined baking sheet about 1 1/2″ apart.
- Bake about 7 minutes (could be as long as 9 minutes – do NOT overbake)
- When the cookies come out of the oven, place a Candy Cane Kiss on top of each hot cookie in the middle and let them sit about 5 minutes.
- Using a toothpick, swirl the softened Candy Cane Kiss until you like the pattern, it will just melt down onto the cookie.
- Remove the swirl topped cookies from the baking sheet and place them on a cooling rack in the refrigerator to set the candy.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and candies.
- Serve chilled straight out of the refrigerator or at room temperature.