The perfect appetizer or side dish- caprese salad- a la Mexicana. I remember seeing this dish in many menus of some fancy Mexican restaurants. So one day I decided to try, and the result was an elegant, so-easy-to-make, colorful and flavorful dish, that combines the very best of the summer favorites! Let me introduce you to the Mexican version of a caprese salad. Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 fresh beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 Hass avocados, ripened
- 2 cups of Oaxaca cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of your favorite pesto
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into½ inch slices and season them with a little salt and pepper. Slice the avocados into ¼ inch width slices.
- To build the tower,put a tablespoon of pesto on the bottom of the plate and then a slice of tomato. Then put some of the cheese and about 3-4 slices of avocado, arranging them in a circle. Spread a teaspoon of pesto. Repeat one more layer, ending with pesto and some pepper to taste.
- It looks amazing with some basil, mint or parsley leaves on the top. Serve at room temperature, buen provecho!