Lack Of Minority Med Students Will Hurt Underserved Groups

As the nation begins to put in place the procedures for implementing the recently passed health care overhaul legislation, as recent studies show, minority communities may once again be underserved.

Although collectively, the Latino, American Indian and Black populations in the US total about thirty percent, only 8.7 percent of doctors in 2007 were from these groups according to a study in the Journal of Academic Medicine Journal of Academic Medicine.

The numbers aren’t getting any better. In 2009, the Association of American Medical Colleges reported a slight increase of 1 percent in the total number of minorities who applied to medical school since 2007 from 15% to 16% of the total pool of applicants.

It is estimated that by the time the overhaul in healthcare completely kicks in there will be 35 million newly insured Americans, creating a shortage of 100,000 primary care doctors in 2020. Black, Latino, Native American and other underrepresented minorities are more likely to practice primary care and three to four times more likely to work in underserved communities than their white counterparts, but are the least likely to be recruited by elite medical schools. These same medical schools such as John Hopkins, Northwestern and Vanderbilt place a stronger focus on specialized medicine and research.

A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, “The Social Mission of Medical Education: Ranking the Schools,” ranked historically black universities such as Howard and Morehouse at the top of a list of medical schools whose graduates are more likely to practice primary care.

Senior vice president and dean of health sciences at Howard University, Eve Higginbotham responded, “It’s no surprise. We’ve known for a long time that minority students end up working in underserved areas four to five times more than majority students.”

An example of a program trying to better prepare minority students is Rutgers University’s Office for Diversity and Academic Success in the Sciences (ODASIS) which is working to close this gap in the medical field by recruiting underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students for a future in medicine and in all STEM areas. The program begins recruiting students as early as the ninth grade, and 86% of the ODASIS graduating class in 2009 were accepted into medical school. Only one black student from Rutgers was accepted into medical school the year the program was founded in 1986.

References:

[Photo By surroundsound5000]

Subscribe today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Must Read

Trump leaning toward ending DACA program

Victor Landa August 25, 2017

  President Donald Trump is leaning toward ending DACA, a U.S. immigration policy the Obama administration started for undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children, according to multiple sources. The […]

Fact: Lee HS in San Antonio will change its name; there are no major high schools in the city named after a notable Tejano

Victor Landa August 30, 2017

Robert E. Lee High School, in San Antonio, Texas, will be changing its name. That’s what the North East Independent School Board unanimously voted to do last night. But there’s no word on […]

Motel 6 hotels sending guest lists to ICE

Victor Landa September 13, 2017

At least two Motel 6 locations in Arizona are reporting their guest lists to ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) officers, which has resulted in at least 20 arrests, according to […]

Top Trump Latino Slurs

Victor Landa

This wasn’t easy. It’s a difficult thing to choose the Trump Latino slurs greatest hits, there are so many to choose from. But I was up for the challenge. First, […]

Waive the Jones Act for Puerto Rico to Help Rebuild its Infrastructure and Economy

Victor Landa September 26, 2017

Everyone has seen the unprecedented devastation in Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricanes Irma and Maria.  The entire island is without power and thousands of Americans may die.  Many […]

She Was a Realtor. And a Gang Leader.

Victor Landa

When Irene Rodriguez died last year at 72 of complications from Parkinson’s, Calvary Mortuary in East Los Angeles filled with mourners. A video screen showed photos of her beaming at […]

Study Shows the Racial Gap with Latinos and Drug Sentencing

Victor Landa August 25, 2017

  It’s no secret there are ethnic and racial disparities in the U.S. prison system. A study recently examined the large gap concerning drug sentencing in American prisons. The research, published by Recovery, […]

Even With Affirmative Action, Blacks and Hispanics Are More Underrepresented at Top Colleges Than 35 Years Ago

Victor Landa August 24, 2017

Even after decades of affirmative action, black and Hispanic students are more underrepresented at the nation’s top colleges and universities than they were 35 years ago, according to a New […]